[WikiEN-l] Eschatology and Wikipedia - talkback templates

Stephanie Daugherty sdaugherty at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 03:40:57 UTC 2010

Right. The issue is, in practice large talk pages in threadmode are as
much or more of a mess. Archives dont solve it because they break
conversation flow and bury conversations. Refactoring would but its a
lost art that seems to be at odds with a culture that treats a signed
comment as invioably sacred, not to mention the issues of neutrality
and time involved.

So we are stuck with two solutions (talk and !iquidthreads) that both
have their own cludginess and inability to scale.

What we need is a collaborative discussion platform that is designed
to scale, preserve transparency, and allow users to track scattered
conversations in one place. While i dont meam to suggest that we
become anything resembling a social network there are aspects of the
"lifestream" interface model that lend well to the type of
communication necessary for collaborative work - the ability to follow
specific conversations as well as groups and pages as well as a
"request" inbox that could be leveraged as a process model.

On 12/22/10, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:
> If we decide we want a bulletin board discussion instead of a talk
> page it would not be difficult to do this from scratch (actually we'd
> probably want to import code from existing licence-compatible open
> source BBS projects--many BBS packages seem to be coded in PHP, which
> would make integration a doddle). As I understand it, Liquid Threads
> is just a kludge to make something resembling a BBS using talk pages
> and a lot of cocktail sticks and sticky tape. That's why it's such a
> hideous mess in practice.

Faith is about what you really truly believe in, not about what you are
taught to believe.