[WikiEN-l] Eschatology and Wikipedia - talkback templates

Stephanie Daugherty sdaugherty at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 02:42:50 UTC 2010

While i am not happy with the current status of liquidthreads i still
see it as a way forward. Its far from perfect but it solves some huge
communication problems that exist with large busy talk pages. Right
now we tend to address those issues with agressive archiving, which i
have seen some major issues with. The primary concern is that on
tenditious policy issues, it becomes impossible to have a meaningful
discussion before archiv ing effecively buries it. A secondary concern
is with the use of hat boxes in such talk pages.

Liquidthreads makes some progress towards solving those problems by
making it very easy to revive a conversation and by making it
difficult to impossible to bury one before it has run its course.
These are its strongest points and i believe these enough are reason
enough not to abandon the idea.

That said in the current state, its not very usable. There is a lot of
work to be done but we desperately need something in the same spirit
even if liquidthreads is the wrong form.

On 12/22/10, WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't use talkback templates myself, and find them somewhat
> irritating,  but I can live with them if that keeps liquid threads at
> bay.
>
> Watchlists have some limitations, I would like to be able to watchlist
> a section and have that watch transfer to the archive when the section
> moves.  I'd also like to be able to filter my watchlist by some sort
> of priority system. But even with over 11,000 articles on my watchlist
> I find it very simple to use and highly effective.
>
> After my experience on Strategy I would be loathe to Liquid threads
> introduced on EN Wiki.
>
> I believe David Gerrard said that Rational Wiki decided to destroy it
> with fire, does that mean that Liquid threads are reversible, and if
> so could we remove them from Strategy?
>
> WereSpielChequers
>
> On 22 December 2010 22:09, Peter Coombe <thewub.wiki at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 22 December 2010 12:29, wiki <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> 5) I see the growing use of {{talkback}} templates. Personally, I hate
>>> them.
>>> However, the assumption that everyone masters watchlists and knows how to
>>> find discussions - and sees replies people make to them in any one of 27
>>> noticeboards, talk pages etc is also counter intuitive. Could we develop
>>> software that flagged a user when someone replies to their post, wherever
>>> the reply might be? So if I post anywhere and someone posts indented
>>> below,
>>> I get some form of automatic notification? I don't know how it would work
>>> -
>>> but Facebook's beauty is that wherever I comment, or wherever someone
>>> comments about me, I get notified - that tends to keep me interested in
>>> continuing the discussions rather than drifting off. Watchlists were
>>> great
>>> in 2002, but they are part of an increasingly tired looking
>>> infrastructure.
>>
>> This is one of the main benefits of LiquidThreads. The system is coded
>> and in use on a few wikis (the strategy wiki & en.wikinews comment
>> pages spring to mind), but I can't see it ever being introduced on
>> en.Wikipedia without serious resistance. It's a big change from the
>> current discussion model, and unlike skins there's no way for
>> individuals to opt-out.
>>
>> Pete / the wub

Faith is about what you really truly believe in, not about what you are
taught to believe.