[WikiEN-l] Eschatology and Wikipedia

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 00:58:41 UTC 2010

On 21/12/2010, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I've had similar thoughts, but more general, thinking that the
> internet in general has more potential for people to "waste their
> time" than ever before. How many scientific theorems and great books
> and works of art are going to be left undone because people are
> wasting their time on Wikipedia

I argue precisely the opposite. How many scientific theorems and great
books and works of art are going to happen that wouldn't otherwise
because we open source lots of information from closed source
articles?

A lot of the articles are based on summarising information culled from
paid-for sources. These sources are not generally available to people
outside certain closed groups of people, at least, not without paying
money, and except for recent works, who ever does that?

--
-Ian Woollard