[WikiEN-l] Eschatology and Wikipedia

Howie Fung hfung at wikimedia.org
Wed Dec 22 00:51:10 UTC 2010

  I think viewing competition from the standpoint of "competition for
people's time" can be very useful.   There has been some data that's
pointed to how Internet users as a whole have been shifting their time
towards social networks (namely Facebook) and gaming at the expense of
other sites/activities [1]. A few months ago, I ran some quick numbers
using ComScore data to show how the allocation of user's time online is
shifting.  I posted the information on my talk page on meta:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Howief

The ComScore numbers (read [2] for a overview of the benefits and
limitations of their data) show that time on Facebook has increased by
48% in the past year while overall time spent online has increased only
5.6%.  Many other sites within the top 10 are either flat or declining
with respect to user time.  This data is far from telling us anything
conclusive about impact on editing.  For starters, it's a measurement of
internet users as a whole which, for Wikipedia data, comprises mostly
readers while we're probably more interested in editors/potential
editors.  But I do think the data points toward the direction of further
exploration than away from it.

Quantifying the effect of "competition for people's time" is going to be
difficult, but if anyone wants to help in that effort, please drop a
note on my talk page.

Howie

[1]
http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/what-americans-do-online-social-media-and-games-dominate-activity/