[WikiEN-l] Use Wikipedia as a Marketing Tool

MuZemike muzemike at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 18:50:31 UTC 2010

The only reason companies and organizations strive to use Wikipedia as a
marketing tool is because of its high visibility on Google, which is
attributed in turn from Wikipedia's immense popularity. I would argue
this would not even be discussed if WP was not in the ten 10 most
popular websites in the world.

That being said, I am not necessarily worried about companies having
their own articles on Wikipedia, assuming said topics meet our
understands and plays by our community norms and policies. What I am
worried about, though, is that these companies want to control and "own"
these articles and block out anybody else who wishes to contribute,
edit, or cleanup by any means necessary including threatening legal action.

It's like with paid editing - once money or professional reputation get
involved, things turn a lot more ugly when something does not go right,
and that's when the threats start flying.

-MuZemike