[WikiEN-l] Citizendium dead?

Guettarda guettarda at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 14:49:22 UTC 2010

I can't speak about larger issues, I can only speak for myself. I arrived at
CZ with a lot of experience on Wikipedia, within a few months of the launch
of the project. I wrote a little, and quickly lost interest. Why?

- CZ was a lonely place. Wikipedia has a vibrancy. You can always stop by
AN/I and watch people yell at each other or something. And if you want
opinions (should I do it this way, or that way?) there are always people
around you can ask.

- Anything I wrote would have to be approved by someone who was (a) less
experienced writing encyclopaedia articles (at least our kind) than I was,
(b) knew less about the subject than I did, and (c) was a less good writer
than I was. (Yeah, despite the evidence here, I'm a decent writer).

- There were too many hurdles to jump through. Yes, I have a relevant PhD.
But, quite frankly, that wasn't (IMO) the most important skill I brought. I
brought experience in a similar medium.

- Not only was it overly hierarchical, but the top of the hierarchy was
full. Not that I wanted to be in charge, but if I had to have my writing
approved by someone, it should be someone who had earned that position. Not
someone who got the position simply because Larry approached them and they
said yes. An effort like that needs cheerleaders, not bosses. (Now granted,
there were people who were more cheerleader than boss, but not, in my
experience, the people in top positions).

But the thing that really put me off was the response to criticism. Someone
had written a review of the group's first approved article. I thought it was
fair criticism, but the response was remarkably thin-skinned.

I tried a few more times, but I just couldn't get into it.