[WikiEN-l] Citizendium dead?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 13:47:59 UTC 2010

On 17 April 2010 14:42, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 April 2010 13:52, Eugene van der Pijll <eugene at vanderpijll.nl> wrote:
>> David Gerard schreef:
>
>>> Clay Shirky was right: CZ collapsed under the weight of its own bureaucracy:
>>> http://many.corante.com/archives/2006/09/18/larry_sanger_citizendium_and_the_problem_of_expertise.php
>
>> Clay Shirky was wrong. He focussed on one part of the CZ hierarchy: the
>> experts, and the amount of overhead that trying to recognize expertise would
>> cause. But there was no overhead, because experts never came to CZ.
>

> He was right, I think, in noting that the bureaucracy was the problem.
> The expert procedure was symptomatic of the dysfunctional attitude.

I disagree, I don't think bureaucracy was the problem. Citizendium
never got beyond a very small size and bureaucracy is only a problem
on a large scale - even if there is lots of bureaucracy in a small
group it is easy to navigate. It never took off because there was
never a reason for it to do so: Wikipedia was good enough.