[WikiEN-l] So what does Flagged Revs feel like?

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Tue Sep 29 19:00:57 UTC 2009

2009/9/29 Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com>:
> 2009/9/29 Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>

>> The place where the comparison to NPP falls short is that NPP doesn't
>> *do* anything, except coordinate with other people using the
>> feature.... and people don't use it because it doesn't do anything
>>
>> <snip>
>
> To me, as someone who periodically does NPP, the most frustrating part is
> having to work from that list and not being able to go back and forth
> easily; if I need to AfD or PROD a page, or even make a small fix, it's a
> real pain.  It doesn't surprise me that there aren't a lot of people doing
> NPP.

Bingo.

NPP exists solely in one place. You will only ever mark a page as
"patrolled" if you sit down and say, right, today I will do NPP; you
have to go to that central page and follow a link, and even then the
status of "patrolled" only exists in reference to that central page. A
casual editor coming across that page won't be able to mark it as
patrolled; won't be able to see that it has or hasn't been.

It's effectively a service for people looking at special:newpages, and
nothing else. Once we have a basic set of patrolled revisons up and
running, NPP becomes almost entirely moot, a special case of what'll
be happening anyway, and presumably the system will be quietly turned
off once PR is well-understood.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk