[WikiEN-l] Oversized criticism sections and WP:UNDUE (was: Notability and ski resorts)

Surreptitiousness surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 25 13:08:04 UTC 2009

Charles Matthews wrote:
> What was good about the earlier years of Arbcom was that innovation in
> remedies and clarification of policies in terms of the decisions that
> would be taken to enforce them cleared up quite a number of issues that
> now rarely need to get into RfAr. That kind of innovation as "crafting"
> decisions to the needs of the site ceased to have so much (new) traction
> a couple of years ago.
Another thing that was good about early arbcom was the desire to
challenge incivility and to accept cases which now would be refused as
being seemingly trivial I have to say though, I haven't noticed arb-com
being unable to craft decisions to the needs of the site. Although I
haven't followed arbcom in a long while, I seem to recall a lot of BLP
stuff following from arb cases. There was a case this year that seemed
to tighten the policy on neutral point of view, and that seems to have
passed through without issue.  So I think it is fair to say the
situation is much the same with regards tailoring decisions and
policies.  Arbcom can tailor where the community allows.  I think it has
always been so. The idea that Arbcom can't make policy is certainly an
idea I've known all my wiki life, and arb-com has but a year on me.