[WikiEN-l] Wikimedian image restorations exploited on eBay

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:15:29 UTC 2009

A small group of people do digital image restoration regularly; we can hold
focused discussions among ourselves.  Perhaps there's a large gap in base
knowledge between us and Wikimedians in general because when we bring
concerns to a wider forum the discussion usually gets derailed.

Not derailed in a malicious sense; derailed because there isn't enough
shared agreement to communicate.  It's as if two groups came together to
discuss geometry and didn't realize they meant different geometries.  Your
parallel lines postulate.  That's an "aha" moment which shows the Euclideans
were scratching their heads while I was discussing spherical planes.

It is eye-opening to see the assumptions that get put forward.  Possibly the
best thing that can come out of our discussion is to step back and examine
what this tells about the audience.  Your points are numbered and
articulate, but I hesitate to answer them as framed.  It's like asking about
"flatness" when you're certain parallel lines never meet and I'm
specifically discussing a situation where they do.

The *Signpost* has an open request for editorials.  I'll be drafting
something for them.  It won't answer your questions directly, but it will
explain the underlying importance of *access*.  That's absolutely essential
for historic media discussions.  Think of *provenance* as a proof that
derives from *access*.

-Durova

http://durova.blogspot.com/