[WikiEN-l] Notability and ski resorts (was: Newbie and not-so-newbie biting)

Surreptitiousness surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 22 12:20:09 UTC 2009

Andrew Gray wrote:
> I think we can easily distinguish, though; the
> notability-by-association thing really needs most of the set to be
> desirable topics for articles (*most* ski runs are interesting, or at
> least let us assume they are for this discussion!) and for that set to
> be well-defined (you can always tell if a ski run is in Australia or
> not).
Yes, this is exactly the sort of gradation we should have and should be
able to implement, but is also the sort of gradation that the
NOTINHERITED group of editors seek to stamp out. The notability guidance
has also become a spanner in the works of Summary Style.  You can't now
split an article up if it is too long unless you split it in a way such
that each separate article is notable by itself. And even if you manage
to do that, there are editors who will accuse you of forking.