[WikiEN-l] Notability and ski resorts (was: Newbie and not-so-newbie biting)

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Tue Sep 22 12:02:08 UTC 2009

2009/9/22 Charles Matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com>:

>> I seem to recall that in the notability policy there is also scope for
>> comprehensiveness. That is, if a certain number of a given category of
>> entities is denoted "notable", then we include articles about *all* of
>> them, for comprehensiveness.

(...)

> OK, but take the argument that there aren't so many ski runs in
> Australia, and transfer it to some micro-sub-genre of heavy metal:
> "There just aren't so many perishthrashglam bands here, so we think it's
> just fine to have articles on all of them". Doesn't look so good.

I think we can easily distinguish, though; the
notability-by-association thing really needs most of the set to be
desirable topics for articles (*most* ski runs are interesting, or at
least let us assume they are for this discussion!) and for that set to
be well-defined (you can always tell if a ski run is in Australia or
not).

The perishthrashglam bands are both a) generally uninteresting, and b)
ill-defined; we won't have articles on most bands defined as part of
that genre, and we won't ever be able to say "the genre consists
solely of these seventy-nine bands and no-one else".

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk