[WikiEN-l] Stick this in your music theory and smoke it.

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 03:13:50 UTC 2009

2009/9/22 Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 8:34 PM, Surreptitiousness
>> I think perhaps I'd ponder if we needed to be told on-list that someone
>> was going on moderation.
>
> Yep, it's a good question, and I did ponder it. FYI, at around the
> same time, I placed another user on moderation, and didn't announce
> the fact.
>
> Arguments for announcing it:
> - re-iterates policy for other users
> - sometimes seems to produce a "thank god for that" effect from other
> annoyed list members

Other pros:

* Prevents lots of "can we put this user on moderation, please?" messages.
* Stops other people being confused when the now moderated person's
emails start coming through in bunches several hours after they were
sent.

Personally, I am in favour of such announcements. If you aren't
announcing it publicly, it is an absolute must to inform the affected
person privately - I was moderated on foundation-l once a while back
and the first I knew of it was when my emails started bouncing back as
being held in the queue.