[WikiEN-l] Newbie and not-so-newbie biting

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 18 15:14:51 UTC 2009

A good way to test friendliness is to edit logged out or from an
alternative IP, or as a new account (but avoid breaching experiments),
and see if your contributions get treated any differently. I've heard
from numerous people that there is resistance to new editing and
biting behaviour going on, rather than welcomes and encouragement for
new editors learning the ropes. Rather than get defensive, working
towards making the NPP culture more friendly and less bureaucratic for
new editors, would be better.

It is a balance between efficiently working through new page patrol
(NPP) and not scaring off new editors who may develop into good
editors, and who may be quite happy for others to take their edits and
improve them (but don't want them just thrown away).

Carcharoth