[WikiEN-l] Newbie and not-so-newbie biting

Amory Meltzer amorymeltzer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 15:02:07 UTC 2009

I wouldn't exactly call that post "nice."  It reads to me like just
another person complaining.  The argument that an article about a
non-profit can't be an advertisement is absurd.  I recognize that NPPs
should on the whole be nicer to submissions from newer users, but the
overwhelming majority of speedily deleted articles deserve to be so.
I don't understand why anyone would feel so entitled about a
submission to what is essentially somebody else's website.

~A

On Friday, September 18, 2009, Sage Ross <ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com> wrote:
> This isn't a new issue by any means, but here's a nice post by someone
> who's been contributing occasionally since 2004, about how daunting
> "wikibullying" can be for newbies and other editors who aren't
> well-versed in the procedures and processes.
>
> http://travel-industry.uptake.com/blog/2009/09/04/bullypedia-a-wikipedian-whos-tired-of-getting-beat-up/
>
> Unfriendliness is built into the system, even when admins and others
> who enforce the rules are perfectly civil and try to be friendly at an
> individual level.
>
> -Sage

~A