[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia: the Journal

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 13 11:52:18 UTC 2009

"This alienates a large number of academics who are already very
interested in learning about and contributing to Wikipedia but have
difficulty justifying it as legitimate work."

[[Academia]] claims "...Academia has come to connote the cultural
accumulation of knowledge, its development and transmission across
generations and its practitioners and transmitters." So, if that
definition is OK, I don't see the issue with the fundamental point: WP's
aims are compatible, though restricted to the transmission. Cue the
discussion of the relative values of teaching and research in
universities, going back to the nineteenth century and resolved,
largely, in the second half of the twentieth century in favour of
"publish or perish".

Having been an academic, I actually think we should take a stronger line
on WP's behalf. The transmission of knowledge gets reduced to a trickle
when the only people who read learned journals are academics, and only
in their subfield (which may have a scale as small as 100 workers
worldwide). We should be saying quite clearly something like:

*Academics who feel their work has value can expect to spend some
proportion of their time on "survey" writing, making it clear to
outsiders (fellow academics, amongst others) what is happening in their
subfield;
*Such work itself ought to be valued properly by those who support
research, because if it doesn't happen by some or other means, the
long-term outlook for a research area is affected;
*Wikipedia has come up with an excellent model for the distribution,
refereeing, indexing and updating of such survey work. Editable
hypertext is a real advance on the traditional survey paper.

Charles