[WikiEN-l] Putting some perspective on the end of Wikipedia

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 16:20:10 UTC 2009

2009/9/5 Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com>:
> Would it be possible for you to do a comparison with Wikipedia just
> before semiprotection was enabled? I've long wanted to know whether
> the argument that semiprotections would replace full protections holds
> any water.

Such a comparison should be possible. We have protection logs, we
should be able to go through them and work out how many articles were
(semi-)protected at any given time. A graph of that data would reveal
any obvious impact of the introduction of semi protection (work out a
trend from the data before the introduction and see if the data after
it fits it or not).

Is there a machine readable version of the protection log anywhere?