[WikiEN-l] Putting some perspective on the end of Wikipedia

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 5 10:38:08 UTC 2009

Risker wrote:
> There are some opportunities to improve practices here, and to really take a
> look and decide which articles (and rarely, article talk pages) need this
> indefinite protection. At the same time, I really do believe that if an
> admin is going to reduce protection on a page with an extensive history of
> problems, he or she has a responsibility to keep an eye on the page for at
> least a couple of weeks afterward to ensure there isn't a fresh outbreak of
> inappropriate behaviour.
Agree with both points, naturally. But the discussion as a whole seems
to indicate that "protection" has become one of our more Byzantine
concepts. Some work ought to go on, simplifying it from a hypertext
stance (categorisation and tagging), so that what happens is more
transparent. Anyone interested in reviewing the system and writing an
on-site essay?

Charles