[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Downtime this morning

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 15:07:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> And to be honest, if I had Googled myself some understanding of this,
> I may have ended up even more confused about it. If I had asked
> questions like this on the wikitech-l mailing list, would I have been
> told to Google the answer?

No, but you didn't.  The message was originally posted on wikitech-l,
and wasn't meant for wikien-l.  It was a brief technical summary of
why the site crashed, directed toward people who know about the site
architecture and would get useful information from the description.
Explaining what all the terms mean wouldn't really serve the purpose
of the original message, which was to inform other people
knowledgeable about and/or responsible for the site's operation so
that the problem could be kept in mind in case it happened again, etc.
 I don't know what the point was of forwarding it to wikien-l, since
it doesn't contain any information that's useful to users.

The technical details are, in something closer to laymen's terms:
Andrew updated the software (scapped), and some servers crashed.
Looking at various monitoring tools (Nagios/Ganglia), he figured out
that some of the older, less powerful (4-CPU) application servers
(Apaches) didn't have enough resources to handle the update properly
(went into swap).  Unfortunately, this somehow (I'm not clear on this
part) drove an important caching server (memcached node) to crash
also.  The reduction in caching caused the database to overload, as
requests that normally would have been cached had to go to the
database.  This made the site mostly inaccessible for about ten
minutes, until the caches were repopulated enough to reduce database
load to normal levels.

As you can see, this doesn't really contain any info useful to anyone
but server admins.  Which is why it was originally posted to
wikitech-l, not wikien-l.