[WikiEN-l] Featured churn

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 17 13:29:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 1:08 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> http://www.floatingsheep.org/2009/11/mapping-wikipedia.html

That is fascinating. Thanks for posting that link.

> Gives us some idea where the gaps are but not to the extent you might
> think (there are simply fewer citable sources referring to things in
> say the Central African Republic than the UK).

"there are more Wikipedia articles written about the fictional places
of Middle Earth and Discworld than about many countries in Africa, the
Americas and Asia"

Oops! :-/

The closest I've come to writing about things in other countries is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Allan_Broun

I had a load of sources on the talk page to follow up, but never found
time and left them there for anyone else who happened to chance along
(actually linking the articles from other articles would help there).

The history of astronomical research in India during the time of the
British Empire is actually quite interesting (if you like that sort of
thing). I've just been reading about the research carried out by John
Evershed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Evershed

I've glad to see we have an article on the observatory he did most of
his work at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodaikanal_Solar_Observatory

This article could do with expanding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madras_Observatory