[WikiEN-l] deletionism in popular culture

Ryan Delaney ryan.delaney at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 17:55:56 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 8:09 AM, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:

> If the topic had been referenceable, initially, it is misusing a
> feature to delete the article, rather than source it. The proper use
> of the feature is to delete articles that cannot be sourced at the
> time.
>
> Articles partially sourced are more likely to be sourced further if
> they remain visible. The best way to discourage work on a potentially
> sourceable topic is to delete it.
>

> David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:DGG

Sometimes, as with fast-developing current events, there are eyewitness
accounts that get added to the article before they appear in printed news
sources. In these cases, it's better to remove the content and wait for the
verifiable source. Pure Wiki Deletion allows us to do that easily -- we can
blank the page, and then restore it when citations become available.

- causa sui