[WikiEN-l] News agencies are not RSs

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 18:45:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Ray Saintonge<saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> Ian Woollard wrote:
>> I'm also left wondering whether there are any other similar things
>> going on, either temporary activities, or extended ones; or whether
>> there have been in the past. If administrators do things, how is a
>> user supposed to know that they're doing it for a sensible reason,
>> rather than some less savoury purpose?
>>

> I guess you just have to "trust them" in the same way you would any
> other politician.

Standard policy on-wiki is that administrators have to be willing to
explain and justify their actions.  OTRS is a venue for being somewhat
opaque; office is a venue for being more opaque.

Issues which rise to this level should presumably be handed to OTRS
and/or office - if they're that sensitive, the normal administrator
pool is not well enough known and trusted, and fundamentally don't
have appropriate private channels to discuss and decide on what to do.

If random administrators start playing cowboy on issues like this,
it's not helping anyone.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com