[WikiEN-l] A modest proposal - a recap of resolution-l

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 23:27:12 UTC 2009

2009/7/31 stevertigo <stvrtg at gmail.com>:

> * "Nobody else cares much" is perhaps accurate, perhaps not. Only the
> supporters and opponents count - not the abstentions - and IMHO I've
> been fairly successful at defeating the opposition's arguments anyway
> - too often by simply pointing out the lack of any substantial
> argument to speak of. If Lincoln destroys Douglas in debate, we
> generally get a concession speech, but we don't generally expect or
> get total conversion or support. Consider Planck's axiom about how
> changes in scientific thinking happen not so much through changing
> minds, but more through through scientist's eventual deceasing.

"Nobody's actively trying to kill the idea!" works okay in wiki
editing (where bad edits are reversible), but probably isn't enough to
bother with an unconvincing structural change. Until anyone else cares
enough to actually push it hard, it won't be a happener.

> * The "no list yet" issue is largely in Cary's court, for the simple
> reason that he is the person apparently in charge. Of course if a

The reason it hasn't happened yet is that nobody else is pushing it
but you. There is no groundswell of support. Cary not doing something
just because you really really want it is, I would suggest, absolutely
appropriate.

So, what was wrong with getting consensus for it on the wiki? Given
it's expressly meant to affect the wiki.

- d.