[WikiEN-l] NYT: Wikipedia May Be a Font of Facts, but It’s a Desert for Photos

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 16:19:01 UTC 2009

Here's an example of what we could be showing the professional photographer
community about how they can do well by doing good.

The WP article is getting 30,000 page views per month:
http://stats.grok.se/en/200906/Sound%20card

Plus another 12,000 views at two other articles:
http://stats.grok.se/en/200906/Sound_Blaster
http://stats.grok.se/en/200906/Sound_Blaster_Live!

Which yielded nearly 2000 direct page views for the image at en:wiki:
http://stats.grok.se/en/200906/File%3ASblive!.jpg

And more views from other languages; the image is used in 35 pages on 25
projects:
http://toolserver.org/~daniel/WikiSense/CheckUsage.php?i=Sblive!.jpg&w=_100000#end

And the fact is it's an older model of sound card nearly 10 years out of
date.  Yet it's being used as the lead image at the high level "Sound card"
article.  Obviously Wikipedia would be more informative with a newer
professionally shot sound card photograph at lead position.

-Durova

--
http://durova.blogspot.com/