[WikiEN-l] The current purges in English Wikipedia (...and my personal case)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jul 10 04:36:53 UTC 2009

Andrew Turvey wrote:
> Per the policy [[WP:NOSHARE]], "Sharing an account – or the password to an account – with others is not permitted, and doing so will result in the account being blocked."

This is worded in such an absolute way as to make the hearts of the
policy police glow.  The wording is clear with no provision for
mitigating circumstances.  There is especially no room for previous
discussion, that might just reveal innocent circumstances.
> It sounds like you had a clear contravention of this policy and the admins giving you a block seems to be the right thing to do. However, given your long history of good editing to the projects, particularly with the other account, you seem to have grounds to appeal the "indefinite" block.
>
> All you need to say is:
>
> "a) I accept that I shouldn't have let others use my account
> b) I no longer let others use my account and won't in future
> c) My account is not compromised as I have changed the password "
>
> Therefore:
>
> Given that it was done in good faith given that we only had access to one computer, and I have an otherwise clean record of extensive good faith edits to Wikipedia:
>
> "Please replace my indefinite block with a time limited block (maybe ask for a week?)"
>
> In the "Guide to appealing blocks" [3], it explicitly says:
>

> "You, as a blocked editor, are responsible for convincing administrators:
>
>     • ... or:
>     • that the block is no longer necessary because you understand what you are blocked for, you will not do it again and you will make productive contributions instead."
>
> If they come back with other concerns about, say, paid editing, then you can address that then - but at the moment I'd suggest you focus on the reason given for the block.
>
> Do all that and I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time. :)

Somebody with that attitude would be well-suited to running a
totalitarian regime.  It presumes guilt.  Where is the obligation for
the blocking administrator to establish that the contributor's action
were with any kind of wrongful intent.  He has to agree to not beat his
wife again, even if he never did it before.

The attitude is wholly reprehensible, and merely encourages lazy
administrators.

Ec