[WikiEN-l] I can't live with [[WP:TPG]].

brewhaha%40edmc.net brewhaha at edmc.net
Tue Jan 27 01:05:54 UTC 2009

"Elias Friedman" <elipongo at gmail.com> wrote in message news:365b4bc60901260454h7c0cbb66redb49907d22a03ad at mail.gmail.com...
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 6:21 AM, brewhaha%40edmc.net <brewhaha at edmc.net>wrote:
>
>> This is about the second time that someone slapped me with a rule in Talk
>> Page Guidelines. The one about revising your own comments can reduce
>> revision rates to a snail's pace while you discuss them in e-mail. Please
>> tell me that it is a joke that everyone ignores.
>>

> It's usually considered bad form to change your talk page comments,
> especially if someone has already responded to them. This is because such
> editing can change the tone and meaning of the other editor's comments. The
> usual course of action if you want to take back something you wrote is to
> strike it out and add material with your new opinion.

I was aware of potential problems like that, which is why I e-mailed concerned authors with relevant text as it stood. It is also why I was conservative with my edits. The most significant edits I made to my own talk page only added text to emphasize my point, which I demonstrated more verbosely in text following a reviewed block. In another case, I added two words to specify what I meant. In another place, I made words more precise in a retort that had not been answered. None of it changed the meaning of text from my opponents. All this did was lend a feature of accuracy and organization to mine.

Say what you will say.
Demonstrate it with an example.
Summarize what you said.

Ironically, after Sandstein impeded my organization, Jayron32 accused me of incoherence. I think stuff like this is in keeping with how people learn to edit anything. [[WP:REDACT]] seems more appropriate for front space, where you might want someone to concur. In talk space, there can be no hope of agreement, so all you can do is suppress your point in front space or take it to someone else for review that might convince you.

Sandstein deleted my estimate of what we should do in the Grawp case as "inappropriate content". Does the rule against "outing" someone apply to an adult banned user?
_______
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Brewhaha@edmc.net