[WikiEN-l] [Wikitech-l] Fwd: Wired: Wikipedia to Color Code Untrustworthy Text

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 22:40:35 UTC 2009

On 31/08/2009, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> The trust coloring is clearly the most controversial part of the
> technology. However, it's also integral to it, and we think it could
> be valuable. If we do integrate it, it would likely be initially as a
> user preference. (And of course no view of the article would have it
> toggled on by default.) There may also be additional community
> consultation required.

If I understand this correctly, wouldn't trust coloring inevitably
mark all new users and anonymous IPs as untrustworthy?

So, basically, wouldn't trust coloring be a way of failing to assume
good faith for all anonymous IPs and new users, and institutionalising
this in the software?

--
-Ian Woollard

"All the world's a stage... but you'll grow out of it eventually."