[WikiEN-l] Wired: Wikipedia to Color Code Untrustworthy Text

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 01:48:39 UTC 2009

2009/8/31 FT2 <ft2.wiki at gmail.com>:
> Agree - trust scores are likely to be divisive and easily gamed. I do not
> think "trust score league tables" will help the project.
>
> However as they are also good ways to spot problems and see the "reliability
> profile" of an article on review, perhaps some way might be found to make
> some of their results available, in some limited manner? Admin only??

Perhaps the trust scores could be released in the form of categories.
You can't find out an individuals actual score but you can find out if
they are "untrustworthy", "average" or "trustworthy" (with dividing
lines that we have spent at least a gigabyte arguing over, of course).
I can't see any real use for the exact scores - the precision will be
so low that the rough categories are all you can conclude from them.

I'm not convinced there is sufficient use for even such categories,
though. They might be useful for prioritising recent changes in vandal
fighting tools, that's about it. (Perhaps the vandal fighting tools
could have access to the scores without their users having such
access?)