[WikiEN-l] Wired: Wikipedia to Color Code Untrustworthy Text

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 01:42:32 UTC 2009

Agree - trust scores are likely to be divisive and easily gamed. I do not
think "trust score league tables" will help the project.

However as they are also good ways to spot problems and see the "reliability
profile" of an article on review, perhaps some way might be found to make
some of their results available, in some limited manner? Admin only??

On the assumption admins are trusted anyway so they don't have such a vested
interest in numbers, but they might be interested in problem editorship.

The other view is if you can see the aging or trust profile of the article,
that's all you need. low trust-score users may simply be legitimate but
inexperienced, bold and reverted, etc. There are other ways to ID problem
editors, and if you need to know who wrote a specific sentence you can
always use WikiBlame to check the history.

So overall I would say you don't need to publish trust scores of users, and
even telling a user their own trust score is merely a toehold into self
promotion/gaming at best. People should edit, not be encouraged to keep
scorecards.....

FT2