[WikiEN-l] Blog post on FlaggedRevs

Andrew Turvey andrewrturvey at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 26 10:02:38 UTC 2009

Very useful - thanks

Couple of points:

"Only in a small percentage of cases, we would require changes to be patrolled before becoming the default view for readers. The proposal is to do so initially in the case of biographies of living people"

This is contradictory. BLP articles make up a significant proportion of all articles (something like 25% off the top of my head) so if you do it for all BLP articles you are not doing it "in a small percentage of cases"

"If the proposed model works as intended, it will actually allow us to open up many articles for editing which are currently protected from being edited."

This has been mentioned before and although it seems like a good line, I'm not sure it holds water. Let me put it like this:

At the moment we have ~3m articles of which, say, 700 are fully protected and about 1300 are semi protected. What do we expect this is going to look like in a couple of years' time? My guess is something like this:

Fully protected - maybe 600?
Semi protected - maybe 700?
Page protection - maybe 100,000?

There are plenty of editors who are pushing page protection for all ~700k BLP articles and some who want it, like WP-DE, on everything. Whatever happens, it will be significantly more than the current 2k that's protected.

Hence although it might slightly reduce the number of protected articles, overall the impact will be a restriction on the openness of editing. So although the media have massively exaggerated the impact, the story they're reporting is essentially correct.

Personally, I think a better line is to focus on minimising the risk of harm to living people and balancing this with the openness.

Andrew