[WikiEN-l] Annoying exonyms (was: hatnotes)

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sun Aug 23 05:55:33 UTC 2009

In a message dated 8/22/2009 8:04:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
carcharothwp at googlemail.com writes:

> Will, is this genealogy webpage reliable at all?
>
> http://gilles.maillet.free.fr/histoire/famille_bourgogne/famille_vienne.htm

----------------------------

Well one thing I always caution people is, don't rely on websites of modern
compilations *if* they don't provide sources.  So let's check first the
usual suspects and we can see right off that a large portion of this seems to
be pulled in-tact from E.S. (III:452)

If you want to rely on a site that I won't R.O.S. (revert on site) I'd
recommend genealogics.  We can see that Leo van de Pas (operator of genealogics)
has extracted all or most of this line, for example see Hughes de Vienne,
Sire de St George here :

http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00164470&tree=LEO

You can follow this line back or forth and see what E.S. says or doesn't
about it.
That would be a good starting point.  BUT (here you see my big but), always
always check what source Leo has stated, at the bottom of each entry.  Some
sources like Paget are notoriously unreliable.

Will Johnson