[WikiEN-l] Annoying hatnotes

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 20 18:46:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Keegan Paul<kgnpaul at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM, <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:
>
>>  I don't however see the
>> whole mountainish molehill if there is only one link at the top.
>
> From what I'm understanding and agree with, the molehill is not the issue
> over disambig pages.  The initial issue is that someone looking up plankton
> would have seen a "See also Spongebob" link.  The perception by people
> looking up plankton will be to already question the validity of the
> editorial content if Spongebob is the first thing they see.  Correct me if
> I'm wrong about this being the initial issue, Carcharoth.

Yes, that's what I'm driving at. I'm uncertain as to whether Will
realises this is what I'm getting at, and doesn't think it is an
issue, or missed the point entirely. My issue has never been with the
disambiguation pages (which are fine), but with the hatnotes.

Some more examples can be seen in the "what links here" listing for
the otheruses4 and otheruses6 templates:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:Otheruses4

Most of those are OK, but it is difficult to tell. I certainly hope no
articles have "This page is about USE1. For USE2, see PAGE2. For USE3,
see PAGE3. For USE4, see PAGE4. For USE5, see PAGE5." at the top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:Otheruses6

At the top of Democracy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

We have: "For other uses, see Democracy (disambiguation) and Democratic Party."

I wonder if it is possible to find silly hatnotes or not?

I think it is part of the overall tendancy to say too much upfront,
and not make a judgment on whether to push something down to
footnotes, or off to a disambiguation page.

Carcharoth