[WikiEN-l] Request to Wikipedians for BBC Documentary

Kat Walsh mindspillage at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 17:10:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 1:07 PM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/8/18 Kat Walsh <mindspillage at gmail.com>:
>
>> This is about 95% of the truth, actually. Other articles *can* cause
>> harm in exactly the same way, but are not as obvious or attractive a
>> target.
>

> Mmm. BLPs became special (a) in the wake of the Siegenthaler foulup
> (b) when we became likely the top Google hit on any given
> minorly-noteworthy person's name who has an article or is *mentioned
> in* an article.
>
> But yeah, it can apply to other sorts of articles. The Arbitration
> Committee has advised that articles on companies can need similar
> caution applied, particularly when you have editors who confuse an
> encyclopedia with investigative journalism. (We have Wikinews for
> original journalism!)

Oh, I agree that everyone became aware that articles on living people
needed special handling around then. It's just that people do not
sufficiently appreciate that they are only the most
easily-identifiable subset of the articles requiring that same care.

-Kat

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia online: http://donate.wikimedia.org/en
Wikimedia, Press: kat at wikimedia.org * Personal: kat at mindspillage.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mindspillage * (G)AIM:Mindspillage
mindspillage or mind|wandering on irc.freenode.net * email for phone