[WikiEN-l] Request to Wikipedians for BBC Documentary

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 17:07:11 UTC 2009

2009/8/18 Kat Walsh <mindspillage at gmail.com>:

> This is about 95% of the truth, actually. Other articles *can* cause
> harm in exactly the same way, but are not as obvious or attractive a
> target.

Mmm. BLPs became special (a) in the wake of the Siegenthaler foulup
(b) when we became likely the top Google hit on any given
minorly-noteworthy person's name who has an article or is *mentioned
in* an article.

But yeah, it can apply to other sorts of articles. The Arbitration
Committee has advised that articles on companies can need similar
caution applied, particularly when you have editors who confuse an
encyclopedia with investigative journalism. (We have Wikinews for
original journalism!)

- d.