[WikiEN-l] Request for assistance for new editors

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Mon Aug 17 05:55:46 UTC 2009

"Emily Monroe" <bluecaliocean at me.com> wrote in message
news:2B0BEFCD-0E16-4086-9E45-954CEACEAA0D at me.com...
> The civility thread has got me thinking, but I didn't want to hijack
> it, so here we go. This idea isn't fully formed, so forgive me.
>
> I was going through wikipedia, when I came across a newer editors talk
> page. S/he had several speedy deletion templates, and obvisouly didn't
> know what xe was doing when it came to creating articles (xe was
> making test-type articles, so copy-and-pasting WP:FIRSTARTICLE, stuff
> like that), but for whatever reason, xe wasn't going to ask for help.
>
> I came up with the idea that maybe we can rename the "New
> Contributors' help page" to "Request for assistance for new editors".
> Not that it's already used enough already, but maybe this will make it
> more well-used. At the very least, we can maybe add to huggle
> something that says "This new editor needs help fitting into
> wikipedia. Can anyone help him/her?"
>
> Of course, while thinking about this, I forgot to help the editor who
> got me thinking about it!

xe? Do you mean (s)he? It is easier to read that way. You know that icon of
a clock with a counter-clockwise arrow on it. That is your history. Try to
find that and click on it once. If it is not there, then you might be able
to figure out how to add it to your toolbar, or at least find it among text
menus. Users can put a {{helpme}} template on any page they are having
trouble with. It will *very probably* summon someone from an IRC channel --
same channel that watches helpdesk for new questions.