[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Aug 13 17:47:04 UTC 2009

Charles Matthews wrote:
> Andrew Gray wrote:
>
>> Well, here's an odd thought. If Wikipedia dies, something to do with
>> our community will probably be the reason.
>>
> Odder thought - mailing lists and newsgroups look more vulnerable (to
> civility problems, that is). Wikis tend to become dull, churn rate
> slows, maintenance mode takes over.

I disagree that the mailing lists are more vulnerable.  Incivility
absolutely happens, but perhaps the mailing list denizens became more
thick-skinned before they got here.  It takes a while before most
newbies even find out that the mailing lists exist.  Some people do get
moderated here, but when they come back there is no stomach for
regurgitating their faults from the age of dinosaurs.

Ec