[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:15:51 UTC 2009

Depends, do we see a lot of fixable articles getting deleted due to quality
issues? That would be a reasonable resolution. On the other hand if they
aren't really fixable or they're not encyclopedic, if they haven't much
chance of surviving AFD even if edited a bit more, then it wouldn't do
much.

What isn't wanted is to keep myriad articles (by definition of unchecked
quality, missing cites to be added, etc) in draft space forever, even if it
isn't spidered. It would be a working space for articles actively being
worked on and made ready for the 'pedia, or actively being fixed up for
issues, or where newcomers could work on an article so's not to get it
deleted by the next passing admin.

So one criteria I'd expect would be a communal limit or criteria for
articles in draftspace. (In the worst scenario, they're works in progress,
not parking space for BLP nightmares to be dumped indefinitely in case
someone else randomly fixes them.)

I'd construct draftspace something like this:

   - Draftspace is for articles under construction. It is especially
   encouraged for newcomers and users unfamiliar with Wikipedia editing, as
   more leeway is given to articles being developed as "drafts" here. It's also
   useful for major or lengthy articles where a lot of work is involved before
   the article will be ready for mainspace, and for collaborative drafting.
   - Draftspace is for articles that have a reasonable chance of becoming
   viable content. Extra flexibility is given within reason for [[WP:CITE]] and
   [[WP:CRYSTAL]].
   - Draftspace is not a license for negative, defamatory or attack pieces,
   and good quality citations for any negative or highly contentious statements
   must be added in a timely manner upon request (48 hours of request).
   - Articles that are deemed too poor in quality for an article, though on
   a possibly-credible topic, may optionally be moved to draftspace (without
   redirect) as an alternative at CSD, PROD, or AFD. The article's main editor
   should be notified.
   - Draft articles that have not been worked on for some time, and appear
   abandoned, may be PRODed for deletion. However an article draft that appears
   harmless and non-contentious, and may form a basis of a credible future
   article, then it may be left long term in draftspace, or (if suitable) moved
   to mainspace as a stub.
   - There is no formal requirement for a draft article to be moved to
   mainspace. Draftspace is a working space, intended to help new editors to
   develop an article and get feedback, aside from the main encyclopedia.
   Articles may be moved between draftspace and mainspace as editors see fit.

 FT2