[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

Surreptitiousness surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 13 12:27:31 UTC 2009

FT2 wrote:
> I'd be in favor of a "Draft:" namespace, which users could use for drafting
> articles. Content to be non-spidered. That way we can tell a user to see if
> some other user has started work on a draft already.
>
> This would possibly help collaboration, ensure only credible articles get
> mainspaced, yet retain "anyone can edit" and the gradual development of
> stubs without pressure to delete.
>
> Thoughts?

What worries me about it being a draft namespace which is non-spidered
is that you'd lose the ability to grow the contribution base, because
people couldn't stumble upon it.  You'd also lose the ability for
Wikipedia itself to grow.  I'd rather have the stuff up front and
centre.  After all, Wikipedia is always supposed to be a working draft.
I'd rather use something like a sub-standard tag, perhaps even so far as
to embed the tag in the article so that it can only be removed by an
admin or other form of gatekeeper, although how that would work I don't
know. I think there is lack of understanding that the "rules" work on a
gradient on Wikipedia, by which I mean rules apply more rigidly in some
cases than in others, and if we could ingrain that by having tiered
articles, that might be a way forwards. The BLP has been a step in the
right direction, but we haven't really formulated anything for other areas.