[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

Surreptitiousness surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 13 11:02:45 UTC 2009

Charles Matthews wrote:
> Surreptitiousness wrote:
>
>> At some point the arbitration committee is going to have to make tough
>> decisions, if only to see exactly where the chips fall. If the
>> arbitration committee is sometimes afraid of acting, what hope have we
>> got? David brought up the idea of forking again, and maybe that's what
>> we need to explore once again, maybe we do need to investigate a fork of
>> the project.
>>
> Ah, the Golgafrincham solution (see
> [[Places_in_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Golgafrincham]]). Sort
> of, anyway. The pious hope of a fork in which those who really, really
> hate currrent dispute resolution processes are invited to work on a WP
> clone, licensed in the same way as the original, and so to take their
> dramatics somewhere else. Without the cryogenics, though. This of course
> is what Citizendium should have been, but they ducked cloning the
> material and editing it down. I think this is just a science-fiction or
> desert-island fable, but I could be wrong. It could be "Lord of the
> Flies" or a "brave new world" - who knows? I think DG is astutely
> putting this forward as a reply to people with no contructive
> suggestions as to how to move forward from where we are now.

Nah, you're probably right.  Mind, didn't I use this as a springboard
for another idea which got snipped?  Sorry, was just brainstorming
again.  I don't think the idea is to get people to take their dramatics
elsewhere, it's more an idea of working out how to have one's cake and
eat it. Mind, if I am being unconstructive, please feel free just to
call me on it.