[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

Surreptitiousness surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 12 09:08:57 UTC 2009

Fayssal F. wrote:
> I am afraid it is not accurate. In footbal (soccer), FIFA delivers the same
> yellow and red cards to all referees around the world. [[FIFA Disciplinary
> Code]] regulates not just civility but far beyond that and it it certainly
> governs the professional lives of millions of players.
>
> But why am I talking about sports disciplinary codes? Just go to another
> country and tell them that you are a foreigner and you'd probably deserve to
> be exempted from following their code of law!
>
> The idea that we are diverse and think differently has little basis when
> being uncivil.

There was an article in The Guardian last week about risks and security
policies.  The article pointed out that most people didn't respect
security policy because of the limited risk associated with breaching
it. The writer made the point that if companies wanted security
procedures to be respected, they had to start firing people simply
because they had shared passwords.  I think the same thing applies to
our civility policy.  If we want it to be respected, we have to start
blocking people if they refer to another user as a "cunt", no matter
what the provocation. There has to be a line, and it has to be
enforced.  The minute we allow "certain" people over the line, we allow
everyone over it, because of the rod just made regarding impartiality. I
don't care how good your contributions are, Wikipedia is also a
community, and the lack of self control which means you can use such
language implies you do not have the right social skills needed to
collaborate on creating wikipedia.