[WikiEN-l] Online Newspapers Considering Subscription Model

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Aug 10 04:58:31 UTC 2009

WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 8/9/2009, bluecaliocean at me.com writes:
>
>> What if I live in a place where there isn't any library for hours (or
>> days even) via whatever transportation I have available?
>>
>> What if I have a library...but it's under-resourced, under-paid and
>> there's no way I can really get books or newsletter to help cite
>> wikipedia?
>>
>> What would I do then? Do I just not verify citations?>>
>>
> -------------
> Hypothetical. We don't require a system where any editor can verify any
> citation.  We also don't want a system where a vanishingly small number of
> editors can verify *a* citation.  We want something in the middle.
>
> Your library itself does not need the item.  That is why God created
> Inter-Library Loan.  Get jiggy with it.  It solves many problems.  Provided you
> know the repository, and provided the item circulates at all, you can order it
> to come to you.  You don't have to go to it.

There are fees that go with interlibrary loans.  If you only need to
look at one sentence of a book to verify a statement, you still need to
consider cost-effectiveness before you spend money to send a book across
the country.

We would welcome Emily's verifications if she were in a position to make
them, but her inability in the circumstances described is a fact of
life. She can only verify what is within her means.  If a work is rare
or unique that should not disqualify it as a reference.  Most of these
rare works will be in large cities where there will also be a
concentration of people available to verify the material.  For much of
our material the acceptance criterion validly remains verifiable rather
than verified.

Ec