[WikiEN-l] Online Newspapers Considering Subscription Model

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 02:36:52 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 2:27 AM, <wjhonson at aol.com> wrote:

> At some point, we had a project page where you could list your services
> to do lookups in various sources.  I don't really know if that got a
> head of steam or died the death of obscurity.  I thought I had posted
> myself there, but I've never gotten a request for anything.  However,
> that might solve the problem.

Yes, it must still be there. I know the page you're talking about, but
I've only bumped into it about once in 4 years. And the tendency is to
think that anyone who monitors that page is going to work for the good
of the project.

> I personally don't like the idea of requesting or requiring a
> wikipedian to upload images of their source.  It sounds an awful lot
> like that would violate licensing agreements here and there.  And
> possibly copyright issues.

It would boil down to 'Fair Use' I suppose. And even then TO PROVE IT
they would have to have the cover of the book rather than just the
page: a page in itself would tell you little. Dya see what I mean?

I could have a scan of a printed page saying "1 million jews died in
the holocaust". I could scan in the cover of a different book. And its
frontespiece.

Again, though, I don't get the impression anyone's that bothered about
fucking WP up.