[WikiEN-l] Online Newspapers Considering Subscription Model

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Sat Aug 8 00:15:53 UTC 2009

That's right.  So in my article on Jodie Foster I state that her
brother Buddy wrote a book in which he claims that the name "Jodie"
(which we know was not her birth name) was invented as a sort of
honorary name based on her mother's lesbian lover's name, Josephine
Dominguez... Jo... D.

And I cite his book, page 74 for this revelation.  We have to accept on
good faith, that the encyclopediast has correctly extracted the
information if we ourselves are unwilling to try to find a copy of the
book in some nearby library or order it through I.L.L.

At times what I've done is say "would you be willing to quote the exact
passage with quotation marks?"  Sometimes that works if I'm skeptical
that they really paraphrased it accurately, and if they are willing to
do that, but I wouldn't remove it just because I couldn't verify it.
And I wouldn't remove it just because they said they weren't willing to
do that, or didn't have access to the item any longer.

By the way this particular paraphrase, about Jodie, is verifiable (my
page number was made up).  That does not mean it represents reality, we
weren't there, all we can go by is what been stated.  As far as I know
Jodie has not specifically refuted it.  I have tried to dig up the
intricate details, but it's been slow going.

Will Johnson