[WikiEN-l] Online Newspapers Considering Subscription Model

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Fri Aug 7 22:30:53 UTC 2009

The problem of lack of availability has been with us since the year
3000 BC.  We can't solve every problem right away.  That we can specify
a citation stating that *if* you had a way to get the item, you could
verify it, satisfies our policy requirement that an item is "published"
(made available to the public).

Satisfaction of the guideline (or discussion) issue that an item should
be widely available, would come from projects like Gutenberg and
WikiSource for publication of things like books and from newspaper
archives or JSTOR for publication of things like newspapers and
magazines.

That something is not yet available online, shouldn't be a factor in
considering whether or not we should cite it.  Even the library of Bora
Bora *could* (theoretically at least) request a copy of an item for
you, provided you have the citation and the repository location (see
worldcat.org).

Will Johnson