[WikiEN-l] Lists and redlinks and link maintenance

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 3 08:40:15 UTC 2009

Carcharoth wrote:
> Anyway, what I wanted to know was whether there are places on
> Wikipedia where such approaches to lists and checking links is
> documented? I do remember something about various lists of entries
> from places like the DNB.
>
> Ah here we are:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Missing_encyclopedic_articles/DNB_lists_discussion
>
> "List maintenance, first pass. Add {{tick}}, {{dn}} and {{mnl}}
> templates, respectively for correct bluelinks, bluelinks needing
> disambiguation and bluelinks that are definitely wrong." [...] List
> maintenance, second pass: redirecting redlinks. Go through creating
> redirects and adding {{tick}} to new bluelinks."
>
> That comes closest, I think, to what I was describing above.

Kind of you to mention the DNB project, which works at the unglamorous
end of the 'pedia. What you have cited was the result of a
commonsensical cutting-back of a complete series of maintenance
templates, alluded to in [[User:Charles Matthews/WikiProject DNBMerge]]
(a non-current page). I decided at the time that a good flowchart of the
various states of a list entry would be the thing to set up to clarify
this area; but in fact life proved too short and the preparation of
lists had to take priority or nothing would get done.

Charles