[WikiEN-l] Do experts have a moral obligation to contribute to Wikipedia?

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Aug 3 04:59:58 UTC 2009

But who is heard when people read a Wikipedia article?  *An expert* is  not
heard, that is, no particular expert is heard, because we have no
attribution.  Cited sources are heard, where sources are cited, for a  particular
sentence.  But even then we get citation creep when those  sentences are not
enquoted.  That is, people will modify or hitch a ride on  a sentence with
additional quips not found in the underlying source.

So in our Marilyn Monroe article we *had* cited a source claiming that her
father's country of origin was cited as Norway on her birth certificate.
Which is a claim with no evidence.  And the source cited, did not state
this either.  Someone had hitched that "Norway" onto a sentence which had
simply read that her father's name was Mortenson on her birth cert.  A  casual
reader cannot disentangle these overlying changes, but may assume this is
the voice of the cited expert.  I fail to see how when reading any of our
articles, a person is actually reading the words of any particular expert.

In a *relatively few* articles sources are cited and the actual extracted
sentence is enquoted.  Those I find the most useful, as you can be fairly
sure the source actually states what the quoted sentence states, without
repeating the look-up.

Will Johnson

In a message dated 8/2/2009 9:24:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,