[WikiEN-l] Notability in Wikipedia

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 23:13:02 UTC 2009

2009/4/27  <WJhonson at aol.com>:

> In a message dated 4/27/2009 3:40:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com writes:
>
> If we  can agree something is the sensible thing to do, then we do it.
> That's  what IAR is all about, and why "multiple third-party sources" may
> be a  good rule of thumb, but, like most rules, must never become Holy
> Writ.  (See WP:IAR).>>
>

> -------------------------
>
> So we let creep in such chestnuts as "King Arthur is the ancestor of the
> present Queen Elizabeth" because this is repeated on 12 websites of "local
> genealogy" societies.

That's completely unrelated. Using a source to establish notability is
very different to using that source to establish facts. That King
Arthur is mentioned on 12 local genealogy society websites might well
be enough for him to be notable, but some other source would need to
be used for actually writing the article. There is no reason to take
reliability of sources into account when determining notability, just
that the sources exist. This is the point Ken was trying to make near
the beginning of this thread.