[WikiEN-l] Notability in Wikipedia

doc doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 27 22:38:56 UTC 2009

> -----------------
>
> "Common" sense is not "common", when one sides thinks it's not  "sense".
>
> One side of the argument doesn't get a pass on what common sense is, or
> isn't.  If the consensus doesn't agree, then it isn't common sense.   It's
> uncommon perhaps, or it's nonsense ;)
>
> Will

Which is fine, is the argument is between 5 people who think x is common
sense, and 5 people who think y is. Then sense is not common, and there
is no consensus.

However, if 9 out of 10 people agree something is common sense, then
common sense it is. If 5 of these 9 say "I agree it is common sense, but
common sense should be ignored in favour of applying rule c, because
common sense is not policy".  Then the correct response is to get one's
cluestick out and hit the idiots really hard.

If we can agree something is the sensible thing to do, then we do it.
That's what IAR is all about, and why "multiple third-party sources" may
be a good rule of thumb, but, like most rules, must never become Holy
Writ. (See WP:IAR).