[WikiEN-l] Notability in Wikipedia

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Apr 27 22:25:26 UTC 2009

In a message dated 4/27/2009 1:54:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com writes:

A church  website, if it is obviously aimed at PR
and full of blurb,  should  have claims of membership and influence taken
with a pinch of salt.  However, a page on a small church which narrates
that it was built in  1791, built of sandstone, and has a clock tower of
gothic style dating  from 1806 built by village subscription to celebrate
Trafalgar, and that  six generations of the family of the Lord of Boggle,
is hardly likely to  be lying. And if the same information can be
verified for the website of  the county historical society, then common
sense says we have  enough.>>

------------------

Historical Society websites are not reliable sources.
For the most part they consist of segments written by amateur historians
and amateur genealogists.

I started the Local History Project, and not even I would consider a site
like that reliable and citable.

IF one of those authors has been previously published by a third-party
publisher (who does fact-checking), then it might be considered a reliable
source.  But not until then.

Will Johnson

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220572846x1201387511/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=