[WikiEN-l] Knol - Our first major scandel

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Apr 24 23:46:56 UTC 2009

In a message dated 4/24/2009 4:34:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
nawrich at gmail.com writes:

Plus,  350 probably way undercounts the number of copyviolations. There  are
probably many more than that in Wikipedia articles alone. My own  feeling is
that there should be a way to present wp articles on Knol that  complies
with
copyright (by not changing the copyright status, reproducing  the GFDL
license notice, etc.), but I don't think any of the WP articles on  Knol do
that currently anyway.>>
----------------------------------

When there is no repurcussion, people will do what they will ;)
Does the WF want to start sending cease-and-desist letters based on mirrors
 not displaying the license link?  Or on mirrors not specifying "From the
Wikipedia article..." with a link back or something?  I don't know if they
do, but I can't see what recourse they are going to have if they don't and
then  after some time suddently decide they will start doing it.  There is a
certain understanding in the law that if you do nothing about a situation
that  you know about for long enough, then you can't any longer.

As far as reproducing WP pages at Knol, there are several copyright choices
 you can choose, none of them are the GFDL.  However I think you'd be in
pretty safe waters if at the top of your Knol you stated something like  this:

"This Knol, regardless of what the sidebar might say, is licensed under the
 GFDL.  This statement supercededes any other statement about the
licensing."

That makes it pretty clear and displays your exact intent.  I doubt  anyone
is going to sue you over it.

Will Johnson

**************The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy
Steps!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221421330x1201417418/aol?redi